Indonesia’s Beautiful Temples
Almost 90 percent of Indonesia’s population practices Islam, with Christianity, Buddhism, and Hinduism making up the remaining 10 percent. Hinduism thrives on Bali, and Christianity has a significant presence on Flores, Timor, Sulawesi, and other islands.
Indonesia’s religious history created a trail of beautiful temples in its wake, most of which are found on the islands of Bali, Java, and Lombok. According to the Balinese, there are more than ten thousand temples on that island alone. Java’s Borobudur temple is the largest Buddhist monument in the world. It’s located near Yogykarta and dates back to the eighth century. Prambanan, the ancient Hindu monument, which predates Borobudur, is also found near Yogykarta. Central Java’s Dieng Plateau also features several other large Hindu temples.